Sunday, September 14, 2008

The BIG Move

So, about a week and a half ago, Zach and I decided that it was time to move Hannah from her cradle next to our bed to her nursery two doors down. She seemed to be getting too big for the cradle as it was starting to look dangerously lopsided (Hannah sleeps all over the place and it was starting to tilt when she would hibernate in the corner). We had also discovered that she is no longer comfortable in her sleep positioner and she was trying to roll out of it to sleep on her tummy. This is a BIG no-no according to Dr. Katie, so we thought if we moved her to the crib, she would find the increased space luxurious and would sleep more soundly, and HOPEFULLY on her back.
The move has not been hard on Hannah. There were no tears. In fact, she seems very happy in her new home. She loves her mobile and seems to enjoy the change in scenery.
Unfortunately, the move has been very hard on mommy and daddy. It feels like when she slept right next to us we had more control over her safety. It seemed like we could prevent something bad from happening if she was sleeping in the same room. Don't get me wrong, our monitor is amazing. I think I can hear her breathing better from that then I could when she was right next to me. Nevertheless, sleep for mommy and daddy has decreased. We are both constantly going into her room and checking on her. Between the two of us, Hannah probably gets checked on two times an hour. Initially I thought it was just me, but on the nights when Zach is home, I wake up when he gets up to check on her...and its just as often as me! My OCD has also increased since this big move. I find that I have to check on her at least three times before I can fall asleep. I also cannot fall asleep unless she is on her back or her side when I leave her room. If she rolls on her tummy in front of me I have to roll her back over. Lastly, I put my hand on her tummy to make sure she's breathing and it has to go up and down 7 times before I am satisfied. Why seven? I had to pick a number or I could just stay in her room making sure she is breathing all night long!
The hardest part is the rolling over. We moved her sleep positioner with her, but she was just rolling or scooting out of it and she would wake up when she got stuck, so we took it out because it wasn't really working anyway. She seems bound and determined to sleep on her tummy, so we will just have to discuss this with Dr. Katie in two weeks!

Love,
The Robinson's


This is how she looks when we put her to bed...



...and this is what she looks like when she wakes up. Notice her butt in air? So FUNNY!

3 comments:

bethandtravis said...

SO... is May good for you guys to go to mexico? We have been tracking air fare and its cheaper in may. Maybe mon. 4th to sat or sun. let me know whats best for you guys!!! I still cant get over that pic. of Hannah with her squished face and those head phones! so funny...

Matt Gephardt said...

Next move...come to SLC!

The Richards Family said...

I am no dr but I was under the impression that if they are rolling over, they can move themselves if something blocks thier breathing. But I am super paranoid too so you are not alone. I did the same thing and I still check on London before I go to bed. It will get easier I promise! Love you!